Thursday 28 March 2019

Conspiracy theories

You have probably heard about the concept "conspiracy theories"; they are theories that explain events in an alternative way to that is accepted by most people, and think that the "official theory" is just a big lie.

The list is as endless as human's paranoia, and includes the following:
  • The moon landing (alunizaje) was a hoax (fraude) staged (montado) by Nasa, but it never actually happened 

  • 9-11 was an "inside job"; a self-attack prepared by the USA as an excuse to invade Irak. I must confess I find this one plausible... I have read some evidence that seem to make sense (tener sentido), but to be honest, I am not going to investigate any further.

  • Chemtrails.This theory states that water condensation trails (estelas) from airoplanes are in fact chemical or biological agents to control the population. I, in fact, have a friend who believes this and says that when these trails appear in the sky he always gets a bad headache! (?)

  • Flat earth theory says, as you have probably guessed, that... the earth is actually flat (plana)!! The photographs we have of the Earth as a globe are of course fake (falsas). There is a "flat earth society" and all, that get together to speak about their paranoia.

All of these conspiracy theories are relatively harmless (inofensivas) and even funny, but it gets a lot less funny when you hear about anti-vaccines (antivacunas), who say that there is a causal link (conexión) between vaccines and autism, and decide to not vaccinate their children. Unfortunately we are already suffering the consequences.
.
Unfortunately I recently I found out (descubrí) that my cousin's wife is an anti-vaxxer, and she refuses (se niega) to vaccinate their three-year-old child because she believes this pile of shit (montón de mierda). She told me herself: "I don't vaccinate my child because I am well informed" Aha...

And what did I do? Well, I knew there was no point (no tenía sentido) in me arguing (discutir), so I just listened to her explanations. It was frustrating, but I knew there was absolutely nothing I would say that would convince her, and my dissagreement would only create more distance and mistrust (desconfianza) between us.


As I read in an article not long ago, in an argument it’s not enough to be right—you also have to be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment